med·i·tate
| 1. | to engage in thought or contemplation; reflect. |
| 2. | to engage in transcendental meditation, devout religious contemplation, or quiescent spiritual introspection. |
| 3. | to consider as something to be done or effected; intend; purpose: to meditate revenge. |
Before today in class I really didn't know what it was to meditate in a biblical way. I had always wondered why I never was successful at meditating, and in this I mean I could never before and even now sit still and clear my mind. I thought I had to clear my mind of everything and sit for a period of time, however much it would take God to speak to me. Well I would get very frustrated thinking I was something insignificant and that I was lacking something, because I really couldn't manage to do this. I always had something on my mind to think about.
Today in class though Marv gave us some verses and some insight into what the word "Meditation" actually meant. He explained to us through the bible, especially in the Psalms that meditation isn't the new age emptying your mind and letting whatever wants to come in come in kind of thing. That honestly is a scary thing because that opens up the doors ya to God but then it also opens up the doors to the Devil and his trickery too.
Psalm 1:1-3 states
Blessed is the man
who does not walk in the counsel of the
wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does no wither.
Whatever he does prospers.
who does not walk in the counsel of the
wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
or sit in the seat of mockers.
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
and on his law he meditates day and night.
He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does no wither.
Whatever he does prospers.
In this God is asking me not to empty my mind but to actually fill it; to fill it with thoughts of him. He asks me to dwell on his law for me and to think about the things he wants for me in my life and the things he has already given me in my life. This brought a utter relief and excitement to me. I love to think and ponder on the word of God! I have been meditating all this time when I didn't know it! And I love it! I love getting into deep thought about God and conversation with him and then also discussing him with others!
My inadequacy is no more :)
My inadequacy is no more :)

No comments:
Post a Comment